Home Hacking Projects for Geeks -- cat monitor.

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/homehpfg/chapter/ch03.pdf

Found at

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/homehpfg/

[I admit I'm very paranoid about the wellbeing of my cats when I'm
away since on one trip the person we'd arranged to take care of them
became seriously ill and had to go to the hospital.  In the confusion,
she didn't relay the fact that she'd promised to take care of our
kitties and they only managed to survive because the door to the
pantry was left open and they figured out how to get into the cat food
bag.  Now if I'm going to be away for more than a couple of days, I
make sure I check in with the caretaker every two or three days. --
spl]

=======