FW: An invitation

a template?

-----Original Message-----
From: Gene Spafford [mailto:spaf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 10:34 AM
To: Neumann, Peter
Cc: Susanne E Hambrusch; park@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: An invitation

Peter,

Once again, congratulations on the NIST/NSA award.    Let me ask if
you have an on-line version of the talk you gave.   I'll add it to
the WWW page I have started for the award.

Now on to the main reason for my email.   Each year, the faculty
picks two or three computer scientists who they believe are thought
leaders in the field, and whose distinguished careers should be noted
by students and colleagues.   We then invite those people to be part
of our annual Distinguished Speaker program.

As I'm sure you've already guessed -- for why else would I be telling
you this -- you have been selected by our faculty to be one of our
Distinguished Speakers for the year.

Thus, the honor has fallen to me to invite you to come to Purdue to
deliver a distinguished speech, accept the accolades of the cheering
throngs (well, truthfully, somewhat less than a throng, but we can
promise at least a mob),  and enjoy some Purdue hospitality for at
least a day.    You will even be welcome to a-salt the crowd by
pepper-ing your talk with your distinctive puns from a season-ed
professional.

The department will cover the cost of your travel, lodging, and
provide an honorarium.    You can pick the date(s) you'd like to
visit, so long as it is between August 26 and December 8.   We'd
prefer a Monday, with second choice a Wednesday, but would be willing
to schedule any other weekday if that is more convenient for you.
We're on break Oct 8-9 and Nov 21-24, so those dates won't work.

Please accept this invitation (thus ending my streak of 14 years of
failed attempts to get you to visit :-), and let us know when you
would like to be here.

Sincere regards,
--spaf