MiniNTK, 2005-02-18

   __  __ _2005-02-18   _________  __
  |_|  |_|_|_| |_|_|_| \_| |_| |_|\_\    o      http://www.ntk.net/
Tips, news & gossip to tips@xxxxxxxxx - with NTK in subject line, cheers.

                               >> HARD NEWS <<
                               reluctant adieus

           The lack of drugs and casual sex is surely beginning to
           take its toll on the indy coders of CODECON. The only
           open source conference that takes place "in a
           nightclub"(TM) does indeed still looks like the inside of a
           JWZ fanboy's head. But its sensibility is slowly changing.
           The core contributors are getting older: some of them -
           including the founder, Bram "BitTorrent" Cohen, have scored
           decent incomes; toddlers run at the feet of the attendants.
           Still, age has not withered most, nor made the code less
           gnarly. Perennial NTK favourite DAN KAMINSKY is now
           streaming *video* over thousands of DNS servers; WHEAT is a
           sort of Zope-you-write-with-a-Wiki; Leonard Richardson's
           ULTRA GLEEPER is a link recommendation engine with an "Indy
           Pete" algorithm to eliminate *too* popular sites. All are
           alt enough: so why so much grown-up worry at the after-con
           parties? "This will be the last year we can explore without
           worry", says one maudlin attendant. "The Grokster case will
           come, the Supreme Court will abandon Betamax; innovation
           will die." Is that why so many of the codeconners now
           commute between America and Canada? Is that why one
           attendee vacationed with his 9-months pregnant wife to
           Brazil, so that his child would inherit another country's
           citizenship? Organiser Len Sussamann was shouted down when
           he suggested moving the conference over the border; but if
           the copyfights and patent wars break out in earnest, where
           else is there to go?
           http://www.codecon.org/2005/
                                               - actually, everyone said
           http://www.omgaudio.com/incoherence/
                                 - was the most fascinating of the talks

           But don't forget - many of the web's more "out of the box"
           solutions come not from lone mavericks, but from the lateral-
           thinking employees of some of our most familiar high-street
           brands. Sharp-eyed shoppers at WWW.MARKSANDSPENCER.COM have
           recently noticed that every single "Enlarge picture" popup
           proudly announces "Microsoft Internet Explorer by Marks &
           Spencer" in the title bar, even - and this is the clever bit -
           *if you're not actually using IE*, because said phrase has
           actually been hard-coded into the title tag by someone
           presumbaly under the impression that that's how all popup
           windows should "normally" behave. Following the site's browser
           compatibility issues examined by NTK just over a year ago, if
           this doesn't submliminally persusade M&S visitors to exchange
           their home-knitted Firefox and Opera browsers for Microsoft's
           sensible 100% polyester alternative, what will?
           http://www.xcom2002.com/doh/images/0502181602dohmarks.gif
           - NB: put browser detection code *above* mention in title tag
           http://www.ntk.net/index.cgi?b=02003-10-17&l=78#l
               - would-be haberdashers to NTK readers since October 2003

                               >> EVENT QUEUE <<
                         GOTOs considered non-harmful

           Calamity - avoided! As briefly mentioned last issue, next
           week's UKUUG LISA/WINTER CONFERENCE ON SECURITY AND NETWORKS
           (Thu & Fri 2005-02-24/25, Paragon Hotel, Birmingham B12 0PJ,
           as little as UKP20/ session student rate, preceded by the
           first International Exim Conference, with sessions on perl 6,
           ntpd, bgpd, LDAP and SPADE) should finish just in time for
           dedicated scenesters to hop on the Eurostar and get down to
           Free And Open Source Developers' European Meeting FOSDEM in
           Brussels (Sat and Sun 2005-02-26/27, Universite Libre de
           Bruxelles, B-1050, apparently free), and featuring Alan Cox,
           Richard Stallman, and Wikipedia's "The Outlaw" Jimmy Wales.
           http://www.ukuug.org/events/winter2005/booking.shtml
           - doh, booking closed on Wed, mail for late booking enquiries
           http://www.fosdem.org/
           - are you going to produce an online encyclopedia of reliable,
            authenticated information, or are you just "whistling Dixie"?

           You know, our "Blink"-style instinctual snap judgement is that
           MALCOLM GLADWELL IN CONVERSATION (7pm, next Tue 2005-02-22,
           the ICA, London SW1Y 5AH, UKP8) will probably sell out as
           quickly as his "stating the obvious" popular-pseudoscience
           books appear to. But even more exotic hairstyles should be on
           show the following Tuesday at the launch of REMIX READING (Tue
           2005-03-01, South Street Arts Centre, Reading RG1 4QU, UKP2 on
           the door), a celebration of Creative Commons-licensed music,
           art and poetry in the company of "veteran contemporary
           guitarist" Roland Chadwick, ambient electronica artists Yimino
           and the magnificently-named "David Meme". And for anyone
           wondering whether Reading has the artistic community to keep
           this ticking over - to paraphrase "The Office", Reading's a
           big place. And when they're finished with Reading, there's
           Slough, Aldershot, Bracknell, Didcot, Yateley...
           http://www.ica.org.uk/index.cfm?articleid=13907
           - vs http://www.worldatwork.org/boston2004/photos/photo6.html
           http://www.remixreading.org/
            - "Future Sound Of Didcot" best name for a club night *ever*
  www.lse.ac.uk/collections/alumniRelations/events/20050118t1723z001.htm
          - and Mon 28th: UKP8 to see the amazing blogging Bunder at LSE

                                >> ANTI-MEMES <<
               there's smoke, flames, http://dohthehumanity.com/

           "better than 6ft-long pic of the Enterprise on fanfold paper":
           http://www.romanm.ch/index.php?var1=text/ascii-movies-text ...
           back up again - and for your bonus round: guess which well-
           known e-commerce site are all the music clips coming from?
           http://www.scenta.co.uk/whatthatsong/ ... Widdy of the week:
           http://payontime.co.uk/whypay/certificate.html?name=Enron ...
           "Worst population animation in British history?" (top link):
           http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/games/population/population.html
           ..."Yours faithfully, PWC" (please excuse wobbly handwriting):
 www.bluesq.com/static_bsq/audit/Review_LuckySquaresBallSelection07_03.html
           ... you keep sending in puerile Google goofs, so we'll keep
           running: http://www.google.com/search?q=%22drug+addition%22 ,
           http://www.google.com/search?q=penisoner , semi-neologistic
           usage of http://www.google.com/search?q=%22rest+bite%22 , and
           using http://www.google.com/search?q=%22semi-skilled+milk%22
           leads to http://www.google.com/search?q=%22butter+overflow%22
           ... plus some surprising (and not-so-surprising) results for:
           http://maps.google.com/maps?q=satan,%20cupertino,%20california

                                >> TRACKING <<
               sufficiently advanced technology : the gathering

           There's a rich vein of irony to be ploughed in the current
           stand-offishness of collaborative editors: apps like the
           Mac's SubEthaEdit that let multiple users edit the same
           document simultaneously. Collaboration in SubEthaEdit's case
           seems somewhat limited: its protocol is closed, and creators
           the Coding Monkeys aren't that open to porting the app.
           MOONEDIT is a two-year old equivalent for Linux, FreeBSD and
           Windows. In the ongoing spirit of collaboration, though,
           it's closed source too - and there's no Mac version. Perhaps
           the only hope for true co-operation in this area lies in the
           fledgling DocSynch project, an IRC-based open protocol which
           has the barest beginnings of a cross-platform jEdit
           implementation. Oh God, but that's *Java*. How bad can this get?
           http://me.sphere.pl/indexen.htm
                         - Moonedit: a compressed, static binary no less
           http://www.codingmonkeys.de/subethaedit/faq.html
                                     - protocol "based on open standards"
           http://chalks.berlios.de/dokuwiki/doku.php
    - and there's the networked version of old tracking python fave, Leo
           http://docsynch.sourceforge.net/
                                           - can't we all just get along?

                              >> SMALL PRINT <<

       Need to Know is a useful and interesting UK digest of things that
         happened last week or might happen next week. You can read it
       on Friday afternoon or print it out then take it home if you have
     nothing better to do. It is compiled by NTK from stuff they get sent.
                       Registered at the Post Office as
           "not as good as Amateur Parapsychologist Monthly"
      http://mildlydiverting.blogspot.com/2005/01/supper-with-stars.html

                                 NEED TO KNOW
            THEY STOLE OUR REVOLUTION. NOW WE'RE STEALING IT BACK.
                         Archive - http://www.ntk.net/
 NTK now is supported by UNFORTU.NET, and by you: http://www.ntkmart.com/

                          (K) 2005 Special Projects.
             Copying is fine, but include URL: http://www.ntk.net/
         Full license at: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/1.0

    Tips, news and gossip to tips@xxxxxxxxx - with NTK in the subject, cheers.
             All communication is for publication, unless you beg.
     Remember: Your work email may be monitored if sending sensitive material.
       Sending >500KB attachments is forbidden by the Geneva Convention.
              Your country may be at risk if you fail to comply.