Fwd: Hi Five?? No, Hi Four!!

From: "Jim Schindler" <Jimschin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: March 24, 2005 1:23:54 PM EST

(Surely there's a better recipe!)

                                      Posted on Thu, Mar. 24, 2005

GIF image

      It's official: That was a finger in chili

                                            By Dan Reed
                                                     Mercury News
              http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/local/11217561.htm

Wendy's chili is not made out of people -- well, it is, but just a little bit. Santa Clara
County health officials confirmed Wednesday that the thing a woman bit on when
enjoying her chili at a Monterey Highway Wendy's was, in fact, a human finger.

They're not sure whose. It was about an inch-and-a-half, with a longish, nicely
groomed nail.  And while it gave the woman -- Anna Ayala, 39, of Las Vegas --
a bad case of the willies, it likely caused no physical illness, officials said.

That's because the finger was safely cooked, simmering along at 170 degrees with
more traditional chili ingredients, such as tomatoes, beef and beans.

About 7:20 p.m. Tuesday, Ayala, in town with her family to drop off her in-laws
who live in San Jose, scooped up a mouthful of chili.

It was her first visit to a Wendy's. "I'm more of a Carl's Jr. person," she said
Thursday night.  "Suddenly something crunchy was in my mouth," she said,
 "and I spit it out."  After much examination, she and her tablemates realized just
what the special ingredient was. Then the vomiting commenced.

Police and county health officials were called to the Wendy's, but no one there was
 missing any digits.  "We had everyone kind of show us they had 10 fingers, and
everything was OK there," said Ben Gale, director of the county's Department of
Environmental Health.

In confirming it was a finger, the county medical examiner also found that it wasn't
 badly decomposed and had a solid set of fingerprints. Conceivably, officials said,
 police could lift a print and perhaps match it to a partially fingered person through
 a database.

For now, officials figure -- since it was a jagged cut -- it may have happened on a
meat grinder.  In any case, the county shut the Wendy's for a while and impounded
all the remaining chili and all the ingredients used to make it. They hope to track all
the fixings to try to find the source of the finger.

Wendy's spokesman Bob Bertini said never in the fast-food chain's 35 years has a
body part showed up in the food.