Re: The real Olympics

At 12:50 PM 7/3/2008, Gene Spafford wrote:
<http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/sailing/story/2008/07/01/f-olympics-sailing-venue.html>http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/sailing/story/2008/07/01/f-olympics-sailing-venue.html

Now they have algae blooms from water pollution. Runners not competing because the air pollution is so bad. Drought in some places because the only remaining unpolluted water is being diverted for the Olympics. Flooding. Earthquakes. Mass arrests of demonstrators. Crackdowns on free speech. And probably free lead paint with every souvenir.

Sounds like the real Olympic competition is to survive the experience!

According to an article in Slate, there's apparently about a 50% chance of a "plague" of locusts during the Beijing Games:

http://www.slate.com/id/2194608/pagenum/2/

(That's the second page; locusts are second item from the bottom.)

Normally, I don't care about the Olympics and actively avoid TV coverage of them. But if there's going to be footage of track runners racing through clouds of locusts, count me in...

Cheers,

LRC

--
Information technology has lowered the barriers to entry for
Nigerians hoping for a share of the 419 haul, just as it's