Re: Man shoots his lawn mower, police say - CNN.com

At 12:45 PM 7/26/2008, Gene Spafford wrote:

<http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/07/25/mower.madness.ap/index.html>http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/07/25/mower.madness.ap/index.html

I wonder if he'd been watching the movie "Blaze" recently? There's a scene in that movie where Paul Newman (playing former Louisiana governor Earl Long) shoots his lawn mower when it wouldn't start.

Cheers,

LRC

-- For Democrats, the gentlewoman from New York by way of Arkansas [i.e., Democratic presidential hopeful Sen. Hillary Clinton] was initially a more neutral and ambiguous force. She offered a glimpse of the heady days of 1992, when there was new hope from Hope. Her smarts, her poise, her classy laugh, won her early plaudits and praise. But she soon became a victim of her own success, her own precise caution. She sucked all the air out of the room. In a primary field crowded with talent and money, she scored near 50 percent of the Democratic vote in early national polls. She became the runaway front-runner.

This left her well-heeled opponents no other choice. John
Edwards hired the populist firebrand Joe Trippi and
retooled his war on poverty as a war on Hillary. Hassled by
his fundraisers, Barack Obama sent out his minions with a
new fighting message and then sat down with the sages of
the New York Times. I will attack her, he vowed. I will
defeat her. The cable-news talking heads rejoiced. Blood in
the water, they assured us. Blood in the water, at last.
(Would the ratings bump follow?)
--Michael Scherer