Fwd: United Breaks Guitars

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jim Schindler <jimschin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: July 9, 2009 1:57:50 AM GMT-04:00

This has been on YouTube for two days and has over a quarter million hits. A friend writes:

This is one of those heartwarming stories that brings
a smile to the lips of us proles and strikes fear and
trembling into the hearts of petty tyrants everywhere.

Watch the video first, if you haven't seen it already:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo

I have been following this story ever since I first saw
it this morning, on Digg. Digg is a marvelous invention
that allows users to mark Internet items they think are
"click-worthy" for others, so that they "rise in the
ratings," and as a result *are* clicked on by others.

When I first saw this story, it had only a few "Diggs."
I checked back an hour later and it was #1 on their
listings and over 60,000 people had viewed it. A few
hours later, that total was over 140,000 and it had been
picked up by portals such as the Huffington Post. It's
definitely "gone viral."

The story of this hilarious video and rather effective
form of "offended consumer vengeance" is that United
Airlines played toss with this guy's Taylor guitar and
broke it, and then treated him with disdain for a year
and finally refused to compensate him for it.

Bad idea. The latest news is that United Airlines is
searching desperately for him, trying to offer him
whatever they can to keep him from writing United
Breaks Guitars 2 and 3, which he has promised to do.